Monday, October 22, 2012

Body Segment--Forearm experience


Fracturing both of my wrists was one of the worse experiences that I had in my life. While playing on the basketball court, I jumped up in the air and ended up falling down on both of my hands. It was terrific pain and I wasn’t able to move neither of my wrists.  When I visited my physician and had him inspect them, he put splints on both of my wrists which extended from my hand to nearly my elbow. It was very uncomfortable wearing both of the splints simultaneously. I remember I was in middle school back then and it was extremely difficult going to classes and trying to pick up books and holding a writing utensil in my hand. It was really disappointing when I had to withdraw from sports and other activities. After wearing both of them for some period of time, I was able to remove one of the splints since my wrist had healed. It felt so much better having one hand available to be able to grasp things. I was still unable to join sport or do a whole lot with one hand restrained, but at least I was able to get things done much quicker than before. Once my other wrist healed, I felt like a brand new person. It took a few weeks until my forearm had strengthened to how it was prior to injury, since muscles atrophy quickly when they are not used. I was able to get back to playing sports and perform my other daily activities as usual. I’ve also worked-out my forearms a lot when I was still in high school using different techniques. Forearm workout was not one of my favorite exercises, but I wanted to balance out my muscle groups.      
Another experience that I had with my forearm was when I was admitted to the hospital with appendicitis. All the blood draws and intravenous fluids were given in the forearm vein. Some medications burnt while being administered. It was uncomfortable having all the intravenous lines for over 12 hours in the forearms as it restricts the ability to move your arm. Sometimes the alarm would go off when the arm is bent for a few seconds.     
I remember the many times I had fallen and scratched up my forearms while trying to learn how to ride a two wheel bicycle. Also, when I was about 6 years old I remember how I fell on my elbow and had broken it. I wore a cast that extended from my hand all the way to my shoulder for a few months. It was another one of those experiences that made it very difficult to get around and do things.

No comments:

Post a Comment